> RewriteRule products/specials(.*) /products/index.php?view=specials&$1=$2 [L]
>
> The rewritten url is close but still has the trailing '='.

What you've put there is different to what I suggested, since you've
kept the =$2 at the end. I still have a feeling this won't be totally
what you need though. Looking at your original URL:-

http://www.mysite.com/products/specials&filter=20

this would seem to be missing a ? to start passing arguments. I would
think it should be:-

http://www.mysite.com/products/specials?filter=20

And I'm not sure if this will cause you problems, I suspect it might.

Regards,
Phil.