J. Bakshi wrote:

windows client simply throws error as permission denied.

Does any one know why .htaccess prevents  write access from webdav ?

Hi.
I am not saying that this /is/ your problem, but you should be aware of the fact that all DAV client implementations in Windows are notoriously buggy and unreliable.
Search Google for this : windows +dav +miniredirector
to get an idea of the dimension of the problem.

We use "web folders" heavily in our own applications. We have learned by experience that, depending on the version of Windows, the patches applied, whether or not there is MS-Office installed, etc.. the behaviour of the webfolders <-> Apache DAV dialog is quite variable. All in all, this is quite frustrating, and can be very time-consuming to track down precisely. Since you can probably never insure that all client workstations have exactly the same versions, basically these different behaviours will always hit you. To avoid this kind of trouble, try to keep the interface as basic as possible. If a .htaccess does not work, try for example to set up the same access rules outside of a .htaccess file, e.g. in your server config inside of a <Location> section.