On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Francis GALIEGUE <f...@one2team.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 20:08, Matthew Tice <mjt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I was wondering if anyone has run across a means consolidating or
> > clustering their cache?  Currently we have 20 nodes that only serve up
> > static content.  Each node is configured with a 6G ramdisk
> > (mod_disk_cache).  This works *ok* except for a couple issues.  1) We
> > experience intermittent performance issues (it seems to happen when
> > htcacheclean kicks off), and 2) the cache varies from machine to machine.
> >
> > I was digging around with mod_memcache - I really like the idea but 1) it
> > doesn't look like it's actively developed, and 2) I can't seem to get the
> > caching to do what I want.  I was also briefly looking at JCS - but that
> > maybe a little overkill?
> >
> > I could have the content stored on a shared NFS mount but I wanted to
> stay
> > away from disk-based caching if I could.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate it greatly.
> >

> Since it is only really static content, and provided that when a given
> element changes, its URI changes, you should definitely look at
> mod_expires:
>
> ExpiresActive On
>
> <Location /some/static/URI/base>
>    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month" # or more
>    Header append Cache-Control "private" # this tells that the proxy
> won't cache, but the final client will
> </Location>
>
> You don't even need disk-based caching. The OS' pagecache will largely
> fill the "need for speed".
>
> --

Thanks Francis, I'm a little confused about a couple things.  1) Is the
ExpiresDefault in mod_expires similar to CacheDefaultExpire in mod_cache?
2) This wouldn't address the need for a backend global cache?   Also I
wanted to limit/reduce any kind of paging and it seems that with 9+G of
cache I would be swapping all over the place.