I have a single webserver (1 IP) to which many DNS entries point to.  Up
till now I've haven't needed SSL and the following config pattern has worked
fine for me:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName foo.mysite.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName bar.mysite.com
</VirtualHost>

However, when I added SSL to to foo.mysite.com, the config had to become:
<VirtualHost foo.mysite.com:443>
...SSLStuff

In the meantime non-HTTPS traffic to foo.mysite.com worked fine except that
the Alias directives did not work.  So I realized the problem (the port was
only for 443) and changed the config to:
<VirtualHost foo.mysite.com:80 foo.mysite.com:443>

But this has the unwanted effect of returning 400 Bad Request to HTTP
traffic for foo.mysite.com, with this message:
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

So my question is, how do I configure the VirtualHost to allow HTTP traffic
(port 80) and HTTPS traffic (443)?