Alex Drummond wrote:

POST /webappdir/ HTTP/1.0

Apache sends a 413 and closes the connection as soon as I enter the
line break after the headers. I've checked that Firefox is sending an
appropriate Content-Length header, so the difference in browser/telnet
behavior should not be down to this.

Firefox probably asked for a keepalive connection.  Your telnet didn't.

Is your backend script being passed the oversized request, or is it
just an issue of keeping the connection alive?  Could it be that
you're getting an immediate response, but Firefox isn't telling
you immediately?

(yes, it smells of a buglet, but we should try to diagnose as
much as we can before jumping to conclusions).

--
Nick Kew