We have been using the VirtualDocumentRoot as describe below for some time.  It
handles two level domain names with a sub domain just fine. If the domain is
www.domain.tld or domain.tld, it is mapped to
/exports/home/domain.tld/virtualdomains/www.domain.tld and
/exports/home/domain.tld/virtualdomains/domain.tld, respectedly.

VirtualDocumentRoot /exports/home/%-2.0.%-1/virtualdomains/%0
VirtualScriptAlias /exports/home/%-2.0.%-1/virtualdomains/%0/cgi-bin

Recently, we had a need to create a 4th level sub domain.  That is,
www.subdomain.domain.tld.  For isolation reasons, we needed to put this outside
of the normal file process such that the directory is
/exports/home/subdomain.domain.tld/virtualdomains/www.subdomain.domain.tld.

Now, if it's a sub domain, we still want it to go to the
/exports/home/domain.tld/virtualdomains/www.domain.tld.

So, what we are looking for is a way to have 4 position domains use it's own
VirtualDocumentRoot (and alias) whereas 2 and 3 position domain names will use
the original logic.

It's this type of configuration possible?

Gary Smith