        From: Vikrama Sanjeeva <viki.sanje...@gmail.com> [mailto:Vikrama
Sanjeeva <viki.sanje...@gmail.com>]
        Sent: 25 January 2010 13:57
        To: users@httpd.apache.org
        Subject: [us...@httpd] Help me in setting up MaxClients

        Hello All,

        This is regarding production servers. Recently Apache server hit
MaxClient settings; resulting in crash of sites. However, sites was back
to normal after restarting Apache.

        I read about MaxClient settings and increase it from 200 to 250
(as I read somewhere that 256 is a limit). Since then sites are working
fine. But still I see average concurrent request on Apache is 180-200
which sometime goes to 220 as well. This is threatening, as we are
planning to put more sites live on same Apache.

        Therefore, I am considering to increase MaxClient in order to
handle "at-least" 600 concurrent request.

        I will be grateful if somebody can assist me in setting the
right values for ServerLimit, MaxClient, MinSpareServers and
MaxSpareServers. Also, what maximum values I can have for MaxClients
(want to know max concurrent users Apache can handle.)

        Machine Specs are:

        Manufacturer: Sun
        Model: T5240
        Operating System: Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC
        CPU(s): 2x UltraSPARC-T2+ @1415 MHz; 128 Cores 128 Threads
        Memory: 32544 MB

        Apache Version:
        Server version: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix)
        Server built:   Jan  5 2009 22:19:26

        Existing MaxClient Settings:

        <IfModule prefork.c>
        StartServers       8
        MinSpareServers    5
        MaxSpareServers   20
        MaxClients       250
        MaxRequestsPerChild  0
        </IfModule>

        Note: I am not good in Solaris/*.nix commands :(

        Bye,
        Viki.

        This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
System.
        For more information please visit
http://www.messagelabs.com/email

This e-mail and any attached files are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information, which may be confidential and legally privileged and
also protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised
to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to
anyone else. If you received it in error please notify the sender immediately
and then delete it from your system. Please be advised that the views and
opinions expressed in this e-mail may not reflect the views and opinions of
Associated Newspapers Limited or any of its subsidiary companies. We make every
effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to check
this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no
responsibility for any computer virus which may be transferred by way of this
e-mail. Use of this or any other e-mail facility signifies consent to any
interception we might lawfully carry out to prevent abuse of these faciliti
 es.
Associated Newspapers Ltd. Registered Office: Northcliffe House, 2 Derry St,
Kensington, London, W8 5TT. Registered No 84121 England.