On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Dan Denton wrote:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Robert Hall <rfh...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
Dan,

On Feb 15, 2010, at 10:37 AM, Dan Denton wrote:

Hello all. I’m trying to load test a login page served by tomcat 6,
proxied through apache 2 with mod_proxy. I’m using JMeter 2.3.4 to
conduct the testing. My thread group consists of 500 sessions , and
the sample is a GET of a simple login page.

JMeter returns errors for a varying percentage of the samples. The
errors returned are generally the following:

at
org .apache .jmeter .protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java: 1037)
at
org .apache .jmeter .protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java: 1023)
at
org .apache .jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:346)
at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:243)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The issues I’m having are twofold. I’m having difficulty determining
if these errors are coming from JMeter or Tomcat, as they’re displayed
in the response window of JMeter. The developers think the error is
coming from JMeter given the last few lines of the trace above.

The developers are correct.

Given that I'm not a programmer I should probably take their word for it,
but why would JMeter show this error as the response?

The system you are running JMeter on isn't able to handle the load.

Second, I've tried tweaking my process counts (startservers, maxspare,
etc...) with no change in the outcome. I can mitigate the issue by
pointing JMeter directly to tomcat, but I need this product to go
through our apache proxy for SSL.

There must be some JMeter setting that will work otherwise you would be
unable
to access the webapp over SSL from the system that is hosting JMeter.

Try reducing everything to a count of 1 in JMeter.

If that doesn't work, there is a problem with the SSL config in JMeter;
google "jmeter ssl".

Otherwise, try spreading the load our across several JMeter instances
installed on separate systems.

- Robert

Thanks for the reply Robert. I've set up JMeter 4 slaves, each with at
least two 2.8 Ghz procs and 2 GB of RAM, and still regardless of
whether it's 1 node simulating 400 sessions or 4 nodes each simulating
100, I still see these errors at 400 sessions or more. Also, when I
use multiple slaves to execute the test, the percentage of failures
when simulating 400 sessions is greater and the failures happen
earlier in the test.

This makes me think that this isn't just an issue with the systems
running JMeter, but I'm not sure. I've tried tweaking my SSL Session
Timeout as well, but with no effect. I did this because watching the
mod_status page on this apache instance, I can see the current session
count top out at about 330 every time, then subside. My guess was that
SSL sessions were somehow bottlenecking.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Dan, this sounds like an Apache httpd configuration issue.

Check the values for the 'KeepAliveTimeout' and 'KeepAlive' directives, http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#keepalive

I suggest using "KeepAlive On" and "KeepAliveTimeout 1"; the latter is probably defaulted to 15.

- Robert