On 3/22/2010 3:34 AM, Geoff Millikan wrote:
> Here's three things I wish I had read about Apache optimization that are not
> commonly discussed (we found out by years of trial and error).

Agreed, agreed, and *huh*?

> 3. Increase your StartServers to the number of maximum requests on your
> biggest page.  For example, if your busiest page requires 30 hits/requests
> to load all the images, css, javascript, etc then

It needs to be generously sized, but not users * maxrequests.  Just starting
your average server load is correct, e.g. if your server averages 300
simulatious
connections, you need to start with 300 servers, and you never want it to drop
below that number.

Yes, a browser can make multiple connections, but this is typically only two
parallel pipelines, perhaps even four.  But 30 workers are not handling the
30 requests comprising one user connecting to your site!!!  You just happened
to hit a magic correlation in your testing :)