A good explanation I received from a datacenter where I have the server:

"we classify this sort of issue as "Stealing the gateway". basically
what someone does is they send out false arp packets(flooding the entire
network segment) causing all servers and switching to think their server is
the
gateway instead of our router. they can then insert their own frame inside
of
all web traffic. this sort of issue is usually resolved within a few minutes
when we terminate the server. most likely this is what happened and explains
why the issue started and then suddenly went away without any evidence on
your
server of being hacked."
Unfortunately, they said they did not have a database of registered events
of this kind. :(
Oleg.