Am Dienstag, den 13.04.2010, 10:34 -0400 schrieb Brian Mearns:
> I'd like to use stronger and correlated ETag, namely the hash of the
> content being served. Obviously it's a drag to do this in-line, so I'm
> planning an automated task to generate the ETag values and store them
> on the server. Is there any way I can get httpd to grab these stored
> values for use in the Etag header? I'm flexible on how I store them:
> in a database, in one large file, each in its own file named according
> to the resource, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian

Hi,

Here a short presentation of how I would face this problem:
I found a nice & powerful way of including external scripts depending on
URL/I: RewriteMap. I think its performance is sufficient, since the
process gets spawned only once and the stdio-stuff happens only.
Text-Databases are supported, too. The output (the ETag?) could be
stored in a Envar with a corresponding RewriteRule (E-flag). Then you
can do a few checks and/or use 'Header set ETag new_tag env=new_tag' or
something similiar.

Not tested at all & sounds strange, but may be a starting point.

Regards:
        Florian