Hi.
I've got working configuration with Apache 2.0.46 on RHEL3 described below.

Apache is configured as forwarding proxy and has no other unusual config.

proxy.conf:
Listen 172.x.x.x:8080
<VirtualHost 172.x.x.x:8080>
        ServerName proxy.localdomain
        ProxyRequests On
        ProxyVia On
</VirtualHost>

For administrative reasons some sites that are accessed via proxy are not
addressed by their FQDN - there are /etc/hosts entries instead.
In /etc/nsswitch.conf there's hosts: files dns
So when client requests www.somesite.com (that has /etc/hosts entry), proxy
retrieves the data. Apache resolves name by using hosts file an not DNS.

Problem:
I have exactly the same configuration (Apache proxy, nsswitch, hosts,
resolv.conf) with Apache 2.0.63 (or 2.2.3) on CentOS 5.4 but result is quite
different.
Apache seems to ignore nsswitch.conf (and consequently hosts file) when
proxying!
When client  requests www.somesite.com (that has /etc/hosts entry), Apache
always tries to resolve it using DNS and (of course) returns error "DNS lookup
failure for:  www.somesite.com "
I tested resolver configuration by pinging www.somesite.com and confirmed
address is resolved and working.

Is this expected behavior? Is there any way to force Apache to use settings in
nsswitch.conf?

Thanks.
Matija