----- "Bruno Melloni" <bruno.mell...@chickasaw.net> wrote:

> I successfully setup Apache Web Server, mod_ssl and mod_jk so that
> Apache acts as the load balancer for a cluster of Tomcat(based)
> servers - using self-signed certificates.  This means that I created
> Apache's certificates with openssl and Tomcat's with Java's keytool.

First off: The recommended way to connect Tomcat and httpd these days is
via mod_proxy_ajp/mod_proxy_balancer.

Next, for your sanity's sake, I do not recommend the use of keytool.
Tomcat understands a number of formats:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html#Prepare%20the%20Certificate%20Keystore

> Two of my applications communicate with each other via HTTPS, and the
> servers must trust each other.  For the Tomcat server to trust the
> Apache server all I need to do is import the Apache certificate into
> the keystore (and/or cacerts).
>
> How do I make Apache trust the Tomcat server so that app-to-app HTTPS
> calls work?  Or do I even need to?

Exactly the same way:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslproxycacertificatefile

> Thanks