Peter...apart from the one mentioned above there are bunch of tools you can
use to monitor and analyze your server like webalizer, awstats etc. From
what you have given us above I would expect that PHP is the culprit in this
situation ... except if your application has a database back end in which
case that might be the problem too (like long running db queries, not
released connections etc...things that can easily consume apache resources).
Without the config file we can't say what else might be wrong, it might be
KeepAlive and/or Timeout settings or something similar ...

Igor