We wanted to use syslog too, but it's very rigid (only 8 localX facility for custom logs) so we discarded this solution.

We heard of scribe, the logs aggregator Facebook uses; it seems very flexible, and since FB is using it for his web servers, it's probably doing its job quite well. Sitll, we didn't have time to pilot it.

Sandro