I don't have an answer for you, but here are a few troubleshooting tips I
have found helpful.

If you can make it happen pretty often, you could try doing an
strace/truss/ktrace (I think it's ktrace on BSD) of the process to see what
system calls it's making and exactly which is failing.  You could also try
running "netstat -an |grep :443" right before and after you run it to see if
there's anything else listening on port 443.

One possibility is that the SO_REUSEADDR socket option somehow isn't being
set, which would be visible in a trace.

Another possibility may be that a child process is doing something with the
socket that prevents it from being closed.  You could look in the logs
between restarts and see if that gives a clue.  Maybe there's one script
that is triggering this, for example.  If you tried a graceful restart every
minute or less, the log interval might be small enough to give you useful
information.

You could also try systematically disabling things and see if that helps,
starting with any modules that aren't used.

I have had similar problems on earlier versions of Apache but was never able
to figure them out.  They would only happen once or twice a year, so I
wasn't able to do much troubleshooting.  I know that doesn't help, but maybe
it's nice to know that you're not the only one who has seen problems like
this.

Hope this helps!

-----Scott.