I am trying to build a linux, apache, mysql, php server that I can easily
move from machine to machine.

I am assessing the feasibility of putting all the configuration files, the
virtual server defining files (those in sites-enabled etc), the website
files (normally found in /var/www/....) on a removable disk. In addition to
those are the mysql database files and config files and the php files but
those aren't the concern of this group.

My understanding is that apache2 is compiled to expect to find its main
config file in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf but that in that file I can change
the lines
 ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"
 .
 Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/
 .
 Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
to point to a different location i.e. the usb disk.
I think I will leave
LockFile /var/lock/apache2/accept.lock
alone.

Inside all the virtual server files such as
/usbdisk/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mysite
I need to change the
DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite
lines to /usbdisk/var/www/mysite

My concern is that I am missing something or that this is a silly idea. I
can't find any information about making a portable server and this adds to
my concerns.

Perhaps I should say why i am doing this. I have had various computers go
down due to hardware failure. I have had backups or I have transferred the
files before ultimate disk failure. But each time it takes me a day or so to
set up a new server. I think that if all the files were kept on a usb disk
which itself was mirrored then by changing a few directives in the config
files for apache, mysql and php I would be able to mount the usb drive and
away we go.

Nigel

--
public pgp key at