I have an Apache 2.2 server sitting on a box with one physical address and
multiple virtual addresses.  The physical address servers my name-based virtual
hosts where as the virtual addresses server ip-based virtual hosts.   I read
about the NameVirtualHost directive and tried to implement it but it seems it
does nothing but cause error messages.  I tried to put into the main server
config near my listen directives and received an error that there was no
virtual host despite the fact that there are more than one virtual host.

I also tried to put it just before each of the virtual host directives and
received errors.

Is this directive needed, everything seems to work fine with out it.

In a related matter.  I am having trouble implementing a second https server
one of virtual ip addresses.  Both domains have permanent redirects to the
https port.  However, the second ssl server does not even show up when I
conduct a port scan on its ip address.  Yet both have the same SSL
configuration elements.  I have compared the two configurations and I see
absolutely no difference except of course the SSL certificate and server key
targets.

When I disable the permanent redirect, I have not trouble getting to the domain
on port 80.  Is it  possible to run 2 https servers using different virtual
addresses on the same physical server?