On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
> On 4-Jun-2010, at 08:20, Tom Evans wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
>>> # apachectl -S
>>> VirtualHost configuration:
>>> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
>>> *:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
>>> …
>>> Syntax OK
>>>

>>> Is this something that needs fixing? I ask because everything appears to
>>> work. And how does one fix it. I've read the docs and I have to say I don't
>>> understand the issue.
>>>

>> I don't think there is anything to fix there. What did you think was a
>> warning - '*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost'? That is
>> purely information.
>
> No, the line above that. I read:
>
>> With the NameVirtualHost directive you specify the IP address on which the
>> server will receive requests for the name-based virtual hosts. This will
>> usually be the address to which your name-based virtual host names resolve.
>> In cases where a firewall or other proxy receives the requests and forwards
>> them on a different IP address to the server, you must specify the IP
>> address of the physical interface on the machine which will be servicing the
>> requests. If you have multiple name-based hosts on multiple addresses,
>> repeat the directive for each address.
>
> Since this is my home installation, I cannot specify an IP address as my IP
> changes. Not very often (ever year or so), but it does change.
>
> My initial reading of that paragraph led me to the mistaken conclusion that I
> was supposed to use an IP address (which is how my 'real' server is
> configured). Reading further, I see that '*' is specifically listed as
> allowed.

The line above that is a title :/

The argument to NameVirtualHost is a 'IP/socket glob', ie these are all valid:

somehost.com:80
11.22.33.44:80
*:80
*

Typically, if you are doing 'bog standard' name virtual hosting,
specify your vhosts like so:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName somehost.com
</VirtualHost>

It gets slightly trickier when you want to do SSL, or mixed name
virtual host/non name virtual host, or only serve some vhosts on
requests that come in on a specific interface.

Cheers

Tom