On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 10:36 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am having a front end server as Apache for hosting many websites.
> Today morning any of my domains were not accessible until I did an SSH
> to Apache server and saw
> 100% CPU utilization by Apache
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4704885995_cfdb374ca8_b.jpg
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 what can be reason for this behaviour of
> Apache and what should I check.

High CPU usage is generally caused by things like PHP which Apache has
no control over.

        strace -p <pid>

If you run this against the PID stuck at 100%, it should give you some
insight into what apache is doing. If you are lucky, you can match the
PID with a client IP (netstat -p) which will allow you to look in your
logs to see what that client is doing.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower