Herald and Jeff,

Thanks for the responses!

I feel like I'm making progress.

Here is what my modules directory looks like:

  /pt/apache/modules:
  total used in directory 24 available 35223120
  drwxr-xr-x   3 maco  staff   102 Jun 19 12:41 .
  drwxr-xr-x  14 maco  staff   476 Jun 19 12:41 ..
  -rw-r--r--   1 maco  staff  9083 Jun 19 12:37 httpd.exp

How do I create mod_ssl.so ?

I sense that both of you have given me a good clue.

I'll search the web for more clues.

I know that a .so file is compiled software which suggests to me that
I might be able to create it along the path I followed to install my
copy of apache from the source code I obtained here:

  - http://download.nextag.com/apache/httpd/httpd-2.2.15.tar.gz

I unpacked httpd-2.2.15.tar.gz to here:

  - /pt/tmp/httpd-2.2.15/

When I search

  - /pt/tmp/httpd-2.2.15/INSTALL

For the word "module" I see this:

Here is a typical example which configures Apache for the installation
tree /sw/pkg/apache plus the two additional modules mod_rewrite and
mod_speling for later loading through the DSO mechanism:

     ./configure --prefix=/sw/pkg/apache \
     --enable-rewrite=shared \
     --enable-speling=shared

Question 1:
  - What is the DSO mechanism?

Question 2:
  - Can I create mod_ssl.so using --enable-ssl=shared  ?
  - If yes, what is the proper way to create and install mod_ssl.so
after I have already finished my install from source ?