put your apache error log  to debug and check what it says...

________________________________
From: Karthik Nanjangude <karthik.nanjang...@xius-bcgi.com>
To: "users@httpd.apache.org" <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 1:38:38 PM
Subject: RE: [us...@httpd] Help required for Configuring Apache Web Server For
High Availibility

Hi

Ø       The 502 bad gateway error is

Sorry for  Hi-jacking up this Thread.

I too have some similar Issues with JBOSS /
Apache   LB process

I my case Apache is Displaying Bad Gateway
[  http://wwww.application.com/aap1>
]

But  when the same page is being  direct
call  [ http://application:8081/aap1 ] internal direct hit to JBOSS server
displays the  page properly

Between 2 instance of JBOSS
4.2.1 and Apache 2.x we use mod_jk [ available from Apache Tomcat Connector Web
site ]

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/news/20100101.html#1%20March%20-%20JK-1.2.30%20released

with regards
Karthik