On 15 Aug 2010, at 16:56, e-letter wrote:

> Readers,
>
> According to the php manual, apache should be configured to parse php, e.g.:
>
> <FilesMatch \.php$>
>    SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
> </FilesMatch

That's one option, though AddHandler would be simpler.

> Apparently this should be part of the addtype directive.

No.  AddType for handlers (like php) was a grotty hack needed in Apache 1.0.
It's been obsolete since AddHandler was introduced in Apache 1.1 (1996).
If you see it recommended, treat that as a warning sign about whatever
you're reading at the time.

> I don't
> understand which file I am to edit and add the code shown above. Can
> somebody help please?

See the docs from your package.  There's also a page about it at the
httpd wiki (follow links from httpd.apache.org).

--
Nick Kew