On 19/08/2010 9:27 PM, James Godrej wrote:
On the same mailing list I was told by some one who did documentation that this
documentation is means as technical reference and not a complete how to.

________________________________
From: Rainer Jung<rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Thu, 19 August, 2010 2:19:56 PM
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] using protocols other than http

On 18.08.2010 02:05, James Godrej wrote:
Is it possible to use Apache for any other protocol as ftp or so
Yes, for example see http://httpd.apache.org/mod_ftp/

and make it as a front end to a group of servers running in backend.
As is the case with Reverse Proxy situation in virtual hosting of Apache.
Not sure I understand what the relation to the above question is. If you want to
make it a frontend to another server (the origin server), you have to decide on
the protocol to use between the frontend and the origin server. There's no
immediate relation between the protocol used by the frontend and the one on the
origin servers. If you want to use a farm of origin servers, you need some
balancing and stickyness logic in addition.

Examples are mod_proxy, that comes with modules for load-balancing/stickyness
and protocol modules connecting origin servers via http(s), ajp, scgi, ftp and
connect. Trunk (beta) also supports fcgi as a origin server protocol.

An alternative for fcgi without using mod_proxy is mod_fcgid
(http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/), an alternative for ajp is mod_jk
(http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/).

Regards,

Rainer

James,

Please don't re-hash this. We don't care.

Frank.