Sorry, I was wrong. MaxSpareServers is only available in the prefork
MPM module. Windows binaries on the other hand are compiled with
mpm_winnt:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_winnt.html

Look up MaxMemFree, MaxRequestsPerChild, ThreadLimit, ThreadsPerChild
directives. All of these are available in mpm_winnt and allow you to
fine tune Apache's memory consumption.

Thanks for your question, though. At least, today I've learnt some new
stuffs about Apache. :D

Regards,
MegaBrutal