It seems that mod_autoindex's directory listing and the custom header and footer files are separate streams that are not sequenced/handled correctly in all circumstances. Here are details of 2 failure modes.

Apache /version: Apache/2.2.11
/Using dreamhost for hosting.

.htaccess includes:
AddHandler php5-cgi .html
AddType text/html .html
HeaderName test_doc_header.html
The test header is a simple header with a H1 header, almost like the default.

Accessing a directory with no index.html caused the server to serve up the custom header correctly and some garbage for the file listing. Disabling mod_deflate (done by the admin, on my domain) fixed it so that both came out right. It appeared the header was compressed and the file listing was not, so decompressing gave garbage.

Failure mode 2: same setup, but with mod_deflate disabled. Added a ReadmeName with a test footer. The sequence of display in the browser now was header, footer, file listing. Sample is at www.cmcboulder.org/doc2_test/ .

I did confirm that the header and footer were php processed by adding some simple php code to them.

This seems like an apache bug to me, but wanted to pass it by this group first. Any thoughts? To me it seems that the output of the mod_autoindex directory listing and the header/footer stuff is some a separate stream and being buffered to the end. When php as a cgi is used on the header/footer that is. This entire setup has worked for years before the hosting forced us off of php as a mod and to a newer apache version.