Eric Covener wrote:

> I didn't realize that was an option, or that it would help matters.

I am not sure if it does helps; Frankly, this is the first time I look
at the Apache code. I still don't understand how things relate, so the
above contains a few assumptions. Take it as a suggestion how I would
change things. I'm sure you and the people at the dev list will have a
better understanding if this is a bogus suggestion or if it has some merit.

> I had planned to simply drop the flag from the regexec and update the
> manual to say DirectoryMatch doesn't implitly apply to subdirectories
> (just the match which is trivially extended by altering the regex)

Hold on, in ap_regexec(regex, filename), must the regexp match the
complete subject, or is it allowed to match a substring?

I _assumed_ that it was OK if it matched a substring -- just so that
regexp("/dir/[0-9]+/") would match not only "/dir/123/", but also
"/dir/123/subdir/file.html".

In that case, DirectoryMatch would still match subdirectories, even
without the AP_REG_NOTEOL flag. (which I think what is intended.)
Of course, there is still the option that I completely misunderstand the
code. I'm certainly not excluding that.... :)

Again, I really still don't understand the purpose of the AP_REG_NOTEOL
flag. I checked the repository to indeed 1.3 something (the 2.0 file
server/request.c used to be modules/http/http_request.c), but before
that it was also present in src/main/http_request.c). I'll have another
look, since I'm really curious as to why this flag was ever added. The
more I think about it, the less sense it makes. I'm very hesitant to
change any apache functionality, but this seems like something which was
added as a mistake and never question. There must be more to it.

Regards,
Freek