Sorry, that second .htaccess file below was the incorrect file, here is the
correct .htaccess apache was having a problem with...

# @copyright Copyright 2003-2010 Zen Cart Development Team
# @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
# @version $Id: .htaccess 16111 2010-04-29 22:39:02Z drbyte $
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# The following blocks direct HTTP requests to all filetypes in this directory
recursively, except certain approved exceptions
# It also prevents the ability of any scripts to run. No type of script, be it
PHP, PERL or whatever, can normally be executed if ExecCGI is disabled.
# Will also prevent people from seeing what is in the dir. and any
sub-directories
#
# For this to work, you must include either 'All' or at least: 'Limit' and
'Indexes' parameters to the AllowOverride configuration in your
apache/conf/httpd.conf file.
# Additionally, if you want the added protection offered by the OPTIONS
directive below, you'll need to add 'Options' to the AllowOverride list, if
'All' is not specified.
# Example:
#<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#  AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
#</Directory>
###############################

DirectoryIndex index.php

# prevents inappropriate browsing
<FilesMatch ".*\..*">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "(^$|^favicon.ico$|.*\.(php|js|css|jpg|gif|png|html)$)">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

IndexIgnore */*

# Older versions of the mod_security extension in apache may cause "406" errors
to appear during installation.
# If you are running into such problems, simply remove the # from the beginning
of the following lines:
#SecFilterEngine off
#SecFilterScanPOST Off

~