From: Thomas [mailto:apache.org-li...@darkwhole.de]
Sent: Mittwoch, 29. September 2010 23:31
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] "proxy_balancer" | stickysession

Hi Holger,

On 09/29/2010 04:53 PM, King Holger (CI/AFP2) wrote:
> In production environment, we discover connection switches from
> "rb-wcmstc1" to "rb-wcmstc2" and vice versa (documented in the
> Tomcat-Logs) for the same Session-ID:
[...]
> Although, the "stickysession" attribute is set properly using the
> "JSESSIONID" cookie name and the Apache-Tomcat instances are up and
> running, the connection SWITCHES. Why?

It looks like you did not set the jvmRoute-Attribute of the Engine tag
in your Tomcat configuration to "rb-wcmstc1" on the first and
"rb-wcmstc2" on the second server.

mod_proxy_ajp (used by mod_proxy_balancer) identifies the Tomcat-backend
holding the session by looking up a suffix added to the JSESSIONID
cookie value. You can easily check whether the suffix is set or not by
logging the session id in the Tomcat access log (%S) or by logging
Cookie and Set-Cookie HTTP headers (logpattern: %{Cookie}i and
%{Set-Cookie}o) in your httpd access log.

Regards,
Thomas