>> I need to set up SSL certificates for multiple domain names on a
>> single server.  I've done some research and I think these are my
>>
>> 1. use multiple IPs
>> drawbacks: requires separate apache2 config for each SSL domain, extra
>> IPs must be allocated by the hosting company
>>
>> 2. use multiple ports
>> drawbacks: requires separate apache2 & firewall config for each SSL
>> domain, port numbers look weird in the URL
>>
>> 3. Server Name Indication
>> drawbacks: browser support is not widespread enough yet
>>
>> 4. X.509 v3 with subjectAltName
>> drawbacks: ???
>>
>> Are there other options?  Are there drawbacks to relying on X.509 v3
>> with subjectAltName, or is that the way to go?
>
> Options 1) and 2) don't require seperate apache2 configs. You can have
> apache listen to multiple IPs or Ports. Just add the necessary
> "Listen" statements to your config, and than a virtualhost for each
> SSL host.
>
> Personally I think that until SNI adoption gets more widespread the
> best option is 1) if you have the IPs to spare, as it doesn't have any
> more config overhead than the other options and is going to work as
> expected.

I have a total of 5 usable IP addresses available from my host.  I've
changed the DNS for my domain name, changed my system's network
configuration, and added a VirtualHost block in my apache2 config
like:

<VirtualHost 12.34.56.2:443>
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/www.example2.com.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/www.example2.com.key
</VirtualHost>

which is in addition to my previously existing:

<VirtualHost 12.34.56.1:443>
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/www.example1.com.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/www.example1.com.key
</VirtualHost>

I can see that pings to www.example2.com are resolved as 12.34.56.2
and http://www.example2.com works fine, but https://www.example2.com
still receives the www.example1.com SSL cert in firefox and opera.

Can anyone tell me what else I need to do to serve the correct SSL
cert for each domain?

- Grant