----- "Tom Evans" <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/8 Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>:
> > ----- Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> If you did not also add a NameVirtualHost for *:80, then that is to
> be
> >> expected. If you don't do any IP/port based virtual hosting, then
> it
> >> is usually easiest to do:
> >>
> >> NameVirtualHost *
> >>
> >> <VirtualHost *>
> >
> > that's ambigous. a better practice is to use *:80 (when Listen-ing
> on port 80)
> >

> (I call FUD)
>
> What is ambiguous about it? Is it open to more than one
> interpretation? What is better about using *:80, in your opinion
> (since you seem to have one about it)?

I quote fajita, #httpd's bot:

17:04 <jMCg> namevirtualhost *
17:04 <fajita> Consider using NameVirtualHost *:80 instead, to avoid port
overlap.
17:04 <jMCg> virtualhost *
17:04 <fajita> BAD because it makes things confused when making apache listen
on multiple sockets/ports. Try to use <VirtualHost *:80>, for instance, unless
one knows what they are doing.

> It's two less characters to type, and means that however I configure
> the Listen directives, or how I connect to the server, my list of
> configured vhosts is applied correctly.

The last part ``unless one knows what they are doing'' is important here.

We see too many people who are incapable of configuring their vhosts,
apachectl -S shows overlapping most of the time, so we're preaching
this good practice wherever we can.

I think a better long term solution would be to not allow a start of
a server if apachectl -S returns warnings ;)

> Tom

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.ga...@brainsware.org