I've compiled a plain Apache 2.2.16 without PHP or other external modules on openSUSE 11.3 with gcc 4.5.0. Every HTTP POST produces an empty response with the following lines in the error log:

[crit] file http_filters.c, line 523, assertion "totalread >= 0" failed
[notice] child pid 27403 exit signal Aborted (6)

The problem is easily reproduced with:
# telnet localhost 80
POST /cgi-bin/test-cgi HTTP/0.9

item=7
#

The same request using GET is successfull.

With exactly the same build process I do not get that error using distributions which include gcc 4.4.x such as openSUSE 11.2, Fedora 13, ScientificLinux 5.5, and Ubuntu Server 10.10.

I also do not get that error with the openSUSE 11.3 supplied httpd (2.2.14+) package.

Could this be an assertion bug with gcc 4.5 ?