----- "Appache Lion" <apachel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK! Some of this stuff seems quite advance for me right now, so I
> guess it will take quite some time for all of your suggestions to
> sink
> in. :)
>
> That said, Igor, if you were just starting out with Apache, what
> would
> be the first steps you would take to really understand the software
> and use it properly? Would you pick a particular book, course, or
> experiment with the documentation?

One of my suggestions I have already named:

Ivan Ristić's Apache Security -- it might seem outdated, but the
knowledge it contains is valid for pretty much every daemon you're
running on the net.

Many people here recommand Rich Bowen's books. In particular,
the Apache Cookbook, written in cooperation with Ken Coar.
(I must admit I haven't read it so far..)

> As a beginner who knows how the Internet generally works, a lot of
> the
> Apache jargon seems strange to me and I am always asking myself why
> this, why that.

As far as jargon goes, there's the jargon files ;)

http://catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html

And then we have something of that on our own:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/glossary.html

> What would you suggest for a newbie to do?

In general, I like to say: The easiest way to learn is to try.

Good luck (:

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.ga...@brainsware.org