Dear all,

to speed up our applet based application we are using the "pack200"
compression for the corresponding jar-files (e.g., First.jar, see
example below). The applet is hosted on Apache 2. Unfortunately we have
to support "old" JREs such as JRE 1.4.2 as well. Therefore, as pack200
is not supportet in Java 1.4, the uncompressed "version" of the jar-file
should be delivered if requested by a browser with Java plugin ver.
1.4.2.

I did not manage it to configure Apache according to these requirements.

Using the following configuration always (both, for JRE 1.4 and for JRE
1.6) delivers the "unpacked" jar-file (i.e., unpacked/First.jar):

httpd.conf
------------
AddType application/x-java-archive .jar
AddHandler type-map var
Options +MultiViews
MultiviewsMatch Handlers
AddEncoding pack200-gzip .jar
RemoveEncoding .gz

a) First.jar.var
-----------------
URI: First.jar

URI: packed/First.jar.pack.gz

URI: unpacked/First.jar

Using configuration b) instead (see below), delivers the packed
(compressed) jar-file (i.e., packed/First.jar.pack.gz) for both, JRE 1.4
and JRE 1.6:

b) First.jar.var
URI: First.jar

URI: packed/First.jar.pack.gz