This questions concerns apache(2) on ubuntu 10.04 and apache on
centOS (OS version 7?)
Using the following apache directive:
   ScriptAlias /reg/ /home/http/py/
    <Directory "/home/http/py">
        AllowOverride all
        Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

And the following .htaccess directives:
#
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ ./index.py/$1 [L,QSA]
#
I can point my browser to http://localhost/reg/
(with trailing slash) and get a response from
'index.py'
Two questions ::

1)How may I configure apache so that users will not need the
trailing slash?

2)How may I configure apache so that pointing my browser to
http://localhost
will give me the response from a CGI script at /home/http ?

Relevant keywords, and URLs are also welcome.
TIA
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com