On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Steven Simpson <s...@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to have a CGI program extract a form field and deliver this
> data to an external system, but the field in question is likely to be
> huge.  The server can't invoke the program until it knows the length of
> the request body, in order to set CONTENT_LENGTH in the program's
> environment.  If the POST doesn't include a Content-Length field, the
> server will have to buffer the entire contents somewhere.  Can it deal
> with huge message bodies, such as those exceeding virtual RAM, by saving
> to disc (for example)?

mod_cgi/mod_cgid: request will fail with 411 if client doesn't send
content-length; i.e., they don't have the logic to spool the body and
compute CONTENT_LENGTH

theoretically you could interject some other module to spool the body
and set a computed content-length before the cgi handler runs

> How does FastCGI/fcgid compare?  Will it handle huge POSTs any better?
> My cursory reading of the FastCGI spec suggests that it doesn't have to
> know the content length to deliver it, because it is sent in chunks.

FastCGI spec indicates that CONTENT_LENGTH will be provided to the
app, even though the request body will be sent to the application in
chunks.  Furthermore, it suggests that the app could compare
CONTENT_LENGTH with the actual length received to determine if the
client aborted before sending the entire body.

mod_fastcgi: as with mod_cgi/mod_cgid: the request fails with 411 if
the client doesn't send content-length

mod_fcgid: request is fine if client doesn't send content-length, but
application doesn't get CONTENT_LENGTH (bug)

mod_fcgid spools the entire body to memory/disk before connecting to
the app, so it should go ahead and pass over a computed CONTENT_LENGTH
value; that would also resolve a Content-Length value from the client
which becomes invalid because of a filter.

So: mod_fcgid seems closest to what you need, and whether it works for
you today is dependent on whether or not you need CONTENT_LENGTH set
due to a chunked request body.