How do you debug websites running on Apache?

Say, you have a website which is dog slow on the powerful server.

My favourite way (after checking the obvious errors from the logs) was to simply run Apache through strace, which would print where httpd processes connect to (and possibly hang, while waiting for a connection), what SQL queries they do, what files they try to open, where they write to etc.

This is great as it lets you see pretty everything which happens on the system, but has one major drawback: if anyone but you is using the webserver, you'll get a lot of noise in strace output - so debugging with strace is really only useful if you're the only user, which doesn't make it a great debugging tool on a busy webserver.

What are other debugging methods which can be used on a busy webserver? Ideally, I'd like to see all connections, database queries, files opened for read/write by Apache processes, with timestamps, as I connect from a given IP address (so all other noise is excluded).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org