----- "Ray Van Dolson" <rvandol...@esri.com> wrote:

> I just updated a Verisign certificate for one of our sites, and
> noticed
> Firefox was complaining that it wasn't valid.  This usually happens
> when Verisign's released a new intermediate certificate, and I
> typically just install the new one and point to it using
> SSLCACertificateFile.
>
> This time around, that didn't work.
>
> I RTFM and it seemed that SSLCACertificateFile had nothing at all to
> do
> with intermediate certs, and everything to do with client
> authentication, and that I _should_ be using SSLCertificateChainFile.
> Several posts[1][2] I stumbled across seemed to confirm this as well.
> I made the change in configuration directive, and sure enough,
> everything began working.

A couple of minutes of searching: revealed:
https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&id=AR212&actp=LIST&viewlocale=en_US
and
https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&actp=CROSSLINK&id=AR193

> Upon checking, I realized I have several other sites using
> SSLCACertificateFile to point to an (older) intermediate cert file
> from
> verisign.  I'm curious why this works when it appears to be the wrong
> configuration directive for the job, but doesn't with the new
> intermediate cert file?

I suggest you test with
openssl s_client -connect example.com:443 -showcerts -verify 1

That shoul help you understand what's going on.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.ga...@brainsware.org