I _think_ that PHP is running as a module (based on this section of my
php conf file:

<IfModule prefork.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule worker.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5-zts.so
</IfModule>

But not sure of the implications.  Do the PHP scripts need to run as
CGI in order for suexec to work?

Ken