On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:30 AM, J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:

>       In hindsight, the fact these messages were not prefixed by typical
>       Apache error log tokens like like [timestamp] [severity] [client]
>       should have been the tipoff here.

That is true, log messages from the server (through ap_log_error() variants)
have a well defined format.

>       MANAGE SSL CERTIFICATES.  The output from backtick'd calls to the
>       OPENSSL utility was being output to syserr which of course PHP (using
>       mod_php5) was shunting to the Apache error log for lack of a better
>       place to put it.

Apache redirects the stderr stream to its error log after it starts up.  PHP
et. al. have no influence over this.

>       Should be safe to proceed with the other applications of these new
>       certificates that are so critical today.
>
>       Thanks for everybody's patience and indulgence -- clearly this should
>       never have been posted here, but I was desperate.

Good to hear, happy to help out.  That's why we have this list!

S.

--
Sander Temme
scte...@apache.org