On 12/06/2010 08:40 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

----- "Dennis Jacobfeuerborn"<denni...@conversis.de>  wrote:

I just noticed that when I use ErrorDocument to server custom 404
pages the
output filter I defined is not getting used anymore. Is there some
special
configuration required to make the filters also work on custom error
pages?

I've noticed that myself. But I think it's actually quite good it doesn't.
Most HTTP clients have a hard time dealing with HTTP as is.
Confusing them with Transfer-Encoding and similar things, while confusing
them with Errors -- that just might be too much.

If the filter mangles the output so that the client is unable to deal with the response that's arguably a problem with the filter. A custom 404 page is just that a standard html page with a 404 status code and I would expect that since I configured my filter for the vhost that all delivered pages are run through that filter. The fact that this isn't true for ErrorDocument should at least be documented. Perhaps a flag would be nice to be able to turn that behavior on and off on demand.

Now, this is my experience (and speculation) using mod_filter+mod_deflate.
What's your use-case? What's your config? And why do you think you need
filters applied on Errors as well?

Because the error pages are supposed to look like all other pages. The filter trivially adds a header and footer to every page and the error pages are supposed to show these as well. One possibility would be to hard-code both directly into the error documents but that's just a hack and I would have to resort to a copy&paste every time the header needs to be changed. A more flexible approach would have been to filter all pages and add the ability to not only match the filters according to headers but also to status codes. That way you could run ErrorDocuments through filters or you could just apply them to pages with a 200 status code.

Finally, if someone of the Devs is spying, can you explain the reason
behind this reasoning?

Maybe there is a way to get ErrorDocuments filtered too but it's not documented? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
  Dennis