Comodo CA Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1274 730505
Fax: +44 (0) 1274 730909

On 01/02/11 14:29, Igor Galić wrote:

> ----- "Dave Barton" <dave.bar...@comodo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> To answer the questions from the other email first;

>> plugins?
>>
>> It's an old version (2.7) but I'm not sure how much of an option an
>> upgrade is. I'll have to raise it with our developers.
>
> I don't see my questions actually answered :-/
> Did anything change?
>
> Or did you just suddenly start monitoring the system and realized
> you've got a
Nothing changed, but we did see a 12-14x increase in traffic to the
site. Currently I'm not sure if this was caused by a malicious DDOS or
some kind of micro-Slashdotting. It stopped after about 4 hours and the
crazy subprocess spawning stopped as well.

>> Sorry :(
>
> I would love to present to you the `ps -o` option.
> Along with -u<apacheuser> they are powerful tools.
I shall treasure them always.

>> The WordPress installation is running as an Apache vhost on a Xen
>> virtual machine. The VM is only used for Apache and doesn't run
>> anything
>> else (except stuff like ntpd and snmpd of course).
>
> As with any virtualization, I'd run ntpd on the Xen host only.
Something else to look into, thanks :)

>> Other answers are in-line below. Thanks for trying to help me out! :)
>>
>> Dave

>>> Do you really need all these modules?
>>> Take a look at: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/
>>> To see which you can safely remove.
>>
>> Looking into that now, thanks for the tip.

 Likewise you should probably look into what PHP extensions
 you're loading and which you're actually using.
It seems fairly sane, but I can't guarantee that we're using everything
we have loaded.