On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 22:20 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Richard Sergeant,
>
> Am 2011-02-12 16:29:06, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
> > Today I wanted to add a named virtual host called 'testbed.local'. This
>
> Please do not use .local because it is a special case and  it  is  realy
> treated special.  If you need a local domain please use .site or if  you
> have a real domain, create a subdomain like me
>
>     tamay-dogan.net -> private.tamay-dogan.net
>
> which will solv any problems.
>
> Note:   <private.tamay-dogan.net> is not resolvable outside
>         of my local network because it use <192.168.y.x>.
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack

That's not really an ideal solution. For years .local has been
universally used on lans for local only, non-routeable resolution.
Changing this to something else because Apache can't handle it means I
have to break other stuff.

Is it actually a stone cold fact that Apache can't cope with .local as I
don't see any documentation explaining it? The one thing I'm sure of is
it would be documented somewhere as the project documentation is mostly
excellent. The reason for being specific on this is I have a test
Microsoft IIS 6 box (for ASP development) that happily handles
msbox.local on the host header - so I'm inclined to think this could
just be a plain old bug in the version I have.