On 21 Feb 2011, at 09:12, Lee Goddard wrote:

Dear Apache Users,

I have been looking at a problem for so many hours now that I think it has made
me blind.

The below configuration is intended to restrict access to /admin-cgi/ to members of the
group "admin", which is defined in a plain text file, whilst users and
passwords are in a DBM file.
[...]

    AuthGroupFile /Users/leegoddard/src/www/northfoto2/auth/northfoto_groups.db

The problem seems to be solved, but the solution does not seem valid.

There appears to have been a conflict between these two groups of directives:

ScriptAlias /adminjr-cgi/ "/Users/leegoddard/src/www/northfoto2/adminjr-cgi/"
<Directory "/Users/leegoddard/src/www/northfoto2/adminjr-cgi/">
...    Require group admin ...
</Directory>

Conflicted with:

<LocationMatch "/admin/*">

At least, when I changed the latter to the below, all behaved as expected:

<LocationMatch "/admin/index.shtml">
...    Require group adminjr ...
</Location>

Have I misunderstood the PCRE engine, or is this a bug...?

Thanks
Lee