So I have had my Apache 2.2 server randomly dropping POST data (all
or nothing, it doesn't just drop bits or pieces) to Perl-CGI scripts
for well over a year now on production servers. So far we've put up
with it because it only seems to happen about 1% of the time, however
as our sites are growing, it's being noticed and complained about more
frequently by our users. I'd like to figure out what's causing it and
how we can fix it, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about deep
Apache 2 config to "do the debugging myself". It has been previously
suggested that the mod_rewrite engine may be the culprit, so we did
away with it entirely on our servers for a few weeks to test that
theory, and there was no change in the presence of this issue. Sadly
it's not an issue that's reliably reproducible, with a test script we
run (which is completely analogous with our other scripts, code-wise)
it can take 40-50 thousand form submissions before the issue crops up,
if at all. Based on that fact, it was suggested that it may be that
some threads are going wonky and starting to munge POST data, so we
dropped our requests per thread from 1,000 to 25 and if anything it
seems to have made things worse (though chances are it's the same rate
and the growth on the sites makes it feel like more).

Server info:

Apache: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu)
Perl: v5.8.8 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
CGI: 3.15 (CPAN)

How we get the CGI params in our scripts:

use CGI;
my $q = new CGI;
my @params = $q->param();
my %p;
foreach my $key (@params) { $p{$key} = $q->param($key); }
my @cookies = $q->cookie();
my %cookie;
foreach my $key (@cookies) { $cookie{$key} = $q->cookie($key); }

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Ursa