Hi All,

I have a problem and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I am encountering a situation whereby an HTTP 1.1 authorization header is sent
to every resource under a given domain even though the initial 401
Authentication response by which the authorization information is requested
contains a realm associated with a specific resource on the server.

I understand from the HTTP 1.1 spec that a browser can pre-emptively send the
Authorization header to a resource for which it already has authenticated.

'A client MAY preemptively send the corresponding Authorization header with
requests for resources in that space without receipt of another challenge from
the server.'  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt

However, it would appear the browser is pre-empting every resource under the
domain with the Authorization header.

I have experienced this behaviour for the domain and resources in question
whilst using Opera 11.1, IE[7,8], Firefox 3.x which leaves me feeling confident
(although not 100%) this is not a browser bug.

It is worth mentioning that the server presents the resource associated with
the realm in question as virtual managed by the 'Alias' directive under Apache
2.0 thus for protected resource '/x' the apache configuration is:

Alias /x "/absolute/linux/filesystem/path"

<Directory "/absolute/linux/filesystem/path">
AuthName     "y"
AuthType Basic
</Directory>

I have one completely unsupported theory where the issue is related to the fact
that '/x' is presented by apache as a virtual resource. I wonder if somehow
this ends up mapping the realm to '/' instead of '/x'. I draw this conclusion
from the fact that the browser is pre-empting the Authorization header to every
resource.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as it's
likely I have something incorrectly configured in my setup.

In the interests of brevity I have omitted certain information (e.g. module
versions et al) if required please ask and I will be more than happy to provide.

Thanks for reading.

Chris