Ok after some time of digging I found
I found in /etc/init.d/ directory there are following files apache apache2.1
and apache2.2 I remember long time back when I had installed it was only apache
but surprisingly I find these two files apache2.1 and apache2.2 also. Now when
I did /etc/init.d/apache2.2 start then it started working but I correctly
remember I had not created apache2.1 or apache2.2 or apache either so what
could be the reason for creation of these files which had created this problem?

If you did not create them, then someone else did, probably by installing or attempting to upgrade one or more software packages. Apache HTTP Server will never create start-up scripts itself, unless you download the source code, build httpd from source, and then type "sudo make install".

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org