----- Original Message -----
> This may be a stupid idea, but has anyone had any experience
> load-balancing two Apache (2.2 in our case) servers that are running
> mod_dav?  We've searched and searched and it looks like it's just
> something that no one at all talks about.

I've been thinking about this for some time, but then decided that
it's generally a stupid idea.
Mostly because there are a couple dozen of Dav clients and all of
them have their own interpretation of how to speak to a Dav Server.

My idea back then was to have subversion read/write -- but that
seems like a terribly stupid idea because you have no way to split
it up properly.

> We've got a setup in production where we've got Apache 2.2.17 servers

That sounds like a bad idea. Have you considered starting with test?

> on two different machines (1 per machine) ,identical, each with

What kind of storage do they sit on? This is crucial, because
mod_dav works with FS locks.

> mod_dav.  They're both sitting behind a hardware load-balancer that
> does a port rewrite sending traffic to only one of the two.  We'd
> like to let it round-robin between both, but were unsure whether
> that was safe/wise/possible.

Round-robin seems like the best idea, but only if you enable
sticky sessions.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.ga...@brainsware.org