On 30 Mar 2011, at 18:21, Bernard TREMBLAY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we can pay attention .htaccess must be only redacted in ANSI.

ANSI isn't an encoding.  Unless perhaps you're back in the 1980s
when the notion of an encoding was undefined.

> This rule is not absolute :
>       • The Windows version supports the 3 chars which marks the encoding of
> the file.

You mean you used an XML editor (or text editor whose developers can't
tell the difference) and created a file with a BOM?

> If on Linux a file coming from windows env with is the 3 format coding
> identification is submitted we get :
>
> INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

So you look in your error log!

> So My question and proposal is :
>
> Why all the version will not test for .htaccess if the first 3 chars are not
> encoding marks and then either threat the following as ASCII (the same as on
> windows) or send a clear message :
>
> "ERROR HTACCESS file must be encoded ANSI"

That would be incorrect.

What message did you see in your error log, and what was not clear about it?
As far as httpd is concerned, a BOM in a htaccess is just garbage.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html