On April 13, 2011 4:00 , "Hajo Locke" <hajo.lo...@gmx.de>  wrote:
is there a possibility to reload a separate fcgid-application (mod_fcgid) if something has changed? May be the php.ini for my wrapper-script has changed and i want to reload this application for vhost without disturbing other apps. Is this possible? I think a reload of apache stops all fcgid-applications and force to restart them, is this notice correct? there are a lot of httpd <defunct> in processlist after reloading apache. iam afraid of killed apps and a cpu-overload if a lot applications start at the same time.

I am not very familiar with mod_fcgid, but hat you want is possible with what I am running:

httpd 2.3.12-dev with mod_proxy_fcgi
PHP 5.3.7-dev with php-fpm

php-fpm runs as a separate service from Apache HTTP Server; it is started by the system init scripts (just as httpd is). Sending a SIGUSR2 to php-fpm will cause it to gracefully reload all workers and re-read its configuration file. While this causes *all* applications (pools) to be reloaded gracefully (without end users noticing), it should be possible to set up multiple instances of php-fpm, each with its own config file, with each instance having one pool with one application -- you can then send the SIGUSR2 to only the master process of php-fpm that handles the application you want to have reloaded.

While what I describe above is "bleeding edge" -- and so might be a longer-term strategy rather than an immediately usable one for most people -- httpd 2.3 is in beta and a general (non-beta) release of 2.4 seems to be not very far away. Note that php-fpm from PHP 5.3.6 won't work out of the box with mod_proxy_fcgi, but a fix for this has already been accepted and will be in PHP 5.3.7 when it is released.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org